with embroidered border
I think spring is here and the to do list just tripled
the gardens are calling my name.
In January we had a retreat here in our town, oh such fun.
I was in the need of flowers and my youngest daughter
in need of a quilt. So I began this for her.
It started with 3 charm packs, now I have never worked with
a charm pack before but these kind of called my name
so I sent for them.
I mixed them up (or so I thought) and sewed them together,
and it was ok, adding the border helped
I was not really happy with it, just did not have enough spark.
So I decided to cut the rows in half, shift them around
and resew, below is the result.
Ok, that is better,
it still needed somethings....So
I cut the columns in half, shifted them around
and sewed them back together
(and yes I just cut thru the border, too)
Oh there we go, much better.
While at retreat, I learned about the
A ruler for helping make flying geese.
I love this tool, it made the process so much easier.
I had considered making flying geese to add to this quilt
but they are such a pain, I scrapped that idea
until I used this. See the pretty geese and they are perfect.
A great tool!
A few weeks later I took a class on Craftsy.com
The class is on making sweatshirt jackets.
The teacher had a technique for an edge treatment that I could use
for this quilt.
These flowers are involved and they are embroidered.
I decided to also put some of the flowers in the middle of the quilt.
After adding the flying geese border, I did the quilting
with a floral design
The geese are only on two corners, opposing.
Next came the embroidered flowers
This took alot of time but I think the results were
worth the effort.
I bound the quilt before putting on the embroidered flower
so that they would cover the binding ends.
With the flowers being on opposing corners,
I left the area to be worked with them unbound.
The back, where I used some of the
fabric from the border on the front.
This design took alot of removing from the machine,
trimming and changing of bobbins so that
the back matched the front.
I love the way the border is now trimmed
to the shape of the flowers, alot more
interesting the a straight border and binding.