Welcome to Big Horn Mountain Creations and Quilting......Quilt Stylist

Welcome to Big Horn Mountain Creations, Quilting and Embroidery.
Custom quilts and embroidery, also longarm quilting service. No two quilts alike, made especially for you. Feel free to contact me if you want a special work of art for yourself.
Grab a cuppa and enjoy the quilts.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Leather Quilting

Quilting in Leather


I have been interested in learning to quilt and embroider on leather 
for a while now.  When I found an artist teaching this
techniques online I just had to give it a try.


The class Cathy had open is called Goddess

I made a few changes to my piece from her original.  
Instead of a face I choose to put my flowers in a pot.
After quilting on my Nolting long arm I began the dyeing process
All of the steps took quite a bit of time.

A bit further on the dyeing, sure makes the design pop


Here is my completed rendition.

"Leather Blooms"

As well as the brown dye of the original I wanted 
color, so took my ink pens to it.  
Also adding crystals for a little more bling
.

 Some close ups of the detail follow.


 Inking and crystals.




Hung in the stair well leading up to my studio.


Now I am considering what to do next in leather.

It was easy to do.
  I enjoy using this different material 
as well as the dyes and inks. 

Cathy has other great designs to try
or perhaps I will design something of my own.

























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Gail, that is absolutely beautiful! An amazing technique. So the leather is quilted on the longarm? I'll bet it takes a little time, but you could sell them, if you enjoyed the doing that much. I really like it both with and without the color and crystals.

Vicki C said...

That is beautiful!