Welcome to Big Horn Mountain Creations and Quilting......Quilt Stylist

Welcome to Big Horn Mountain Creations, Quilting and Embroidery.
Custom quilts and embroidery, also longarm quilting service. No two quilts alike, made especially for you. Feel free to contact me if you want a special work of art for yourself.
Grab a cuppa and enjoy the quilts.

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Log Cabin block in progress

When I first started my log cabin I needed to find out how to do it right. Good thing I did, too, cause I would have done it all wrong.......so to find the info I wanted, I visited
QuiltersCashe.com, if you have never been there you HAVE to go and check it out. Monica has created the greatest resource for quilters.

So I found the 12 inch log cabin instructions
http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinBlock.html and at the end are instructions for chain piecing this block. I will share it with you here, too.




Cut a 2 1/2 inch strip x WOF
(width of fabric). This will be
your center fabric (here the red)
Cut a 1 1/2 inch strip of your
first dark fab, again WOF

Sew your first dark, to the
center fabric (red), right sides
together, using a scant 1/4 inch
seam



Cut the two strips into
2 1/2 inch sections.

Make as many strip sets
as needed to make all of your
blocks, I made 70.

Stack your strip
sets on top of each other to
make cutting the 2 1/2 inch
sections easier. Stagger them
as in the picture to make it
easier & more stable cutting.


Now add the next dark
strip, which is 1 1/2 inches
wide also. All of your
following strips will be
1 1/2 " X WOF.

Press with seam toward strip.










Cut apart and
trim up.














Now add your next
strip, which will be
your first light. Continue
around and around in this
fashion.

Here you see both of
my light strips, one is
done and the other is
in the process.

I found it best to put the
1 1/2 inch strip on the bottom
this way the seam don't get caught (you can see how the one
got caught when I was doing it with the strip on the top).

Now trim the block up, I used my 4 1/2 inch square ruler for this step. Continue for
the remaining strips. Two darks, then two lights until you get them all on. Remember to
double check you measurements as you go.

I thought this was a good time saving way to stitch these up, thank you Monica for the instructions.

Want to see how hard sewing is for Miss Mew? Check out my other blog here

1 comment:

Connie said...

Got to love the modern rulers and cutters!