Welcome to Big Horn Mountain Creations and Quilting......Quilt Stylist

Welcome to Big Horn Mountain Creations, Quilting and Embroidery.
Custom quilts and embroidery, also longarm quilting service. No two quilts alike, made especially for you. Feel free to contact me if you want a special work of art for yourself.
Grab a cuppa and enjoy the quilts.

Friday, December 14, 2018

Ribbon Quilt

Ribbon Quilt

Lets start from the beginning. 
 
Lots of show ribbons for 4H for one of the gals in town.

Over 400 to give you an idea of the many times Emma 
has shown her critters.



 First task was to sort according to size and then deconstruct
and press .


 Once taken apart there don't seem to be as many, we are
using all but the 2 smallest sizes.  Oh I did not include those in the 
number of ribbons.  I am planning on using the smaller one
to make a pillow sham.


 Once I played around with the ribbons and found 
the best size to make the block I could 
begin cutting out the fabric to use as a backing 
to hold the ribbons.  It was decide to make 6 inch blocks
so I began cutting 6 1/2 inch pieces of white fabric.
Then using a friXion pen to mark the 1/4 inch
seam allowance for placement of the ribbons.

  
Using clear thread with white
cotton thread in the bobbin and a zigzag stitch 
I started attaching the ribbons to the backing fabric.


 The first 3 with the proposed arrangement.



 The first set of 15 done and arranged on the design wall.
I am thinking of using a deep royal purple (I know it looks blue here) 
with them, for borders and maybe sashing, not sure about the sashing
yet, will see if I need them to help with sizing of the quilt.



This is going to be really pretty, I know you can not really see
it in the picture but the gold sparkles and the ribbon
fabric shines.  
Most of the main colors will be blue, red and purple.

Now off to shop for deep purple fabric.

1 comment:

Susan said...

If she'd known they'd become a quilt, she could have aimed for more yellow, white and pink ribbons instead of always aiming so high. LOL Kidding, this is going to be great. Very pretty, I think.